Today's Quote:"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion."
Today's Theme - Tips for "Short" Post Players
All good post players must learn how to get open inside, and must master the basic low post moves. However, a post player who is going up against a much taller post defender is still going to have difficulty scoring. He/she can make a great post move, only to have the shot blocked.
So here are a few tips for the shorter post player.
Become a good mid-range shooter - from the free-throw line, elbows, short corners and corners. Put in extra practice time every day cutting to these spots, catching and shooting.
By moving to the high post or short corner/corner areas, you take the big defender away from the hoop. Most big post defenders are uncomfortable away from the hoop.
When you catch the ball away from the hoop:
1. Look to turn and shoot. If you can make a couple shots, the defender will have to come out on you.
2. When the big defender comes out from the basket, shot fake and use your quickness to dribble-drive around him to the hoop for a lay-up.
3. When you draw the big shot-blocker out, this may create spacing for a teammate to cut through for a pass from you, and a lay-up.
4. When you have the ball at the high post, look to score, but also look for the open shooter on the opposite wing/corner, or for a cutter, or to pass "hi-lo" to a teammate posting up down low.
5. Versus zones, find the gaps in the zone, again often the mid-lane or high post areas, or the short corners. "Cut early or cut late" as the zone shifts. Don't make your cut as the zone is shifting, but either just before or just after the defense rotates.
- some years ago, we had a 5'7" post player, Liz... short but quick and saavy, a "gamer". In our Regional game, she was defended by an All-State 6'3" girl. Having no success posting up inside, Liz took her defender up to the high post and had the best game of her career, scoring 23 points and we won by 7.
Here are two helpful videos from trainer Tim Springer:
Coach's Clipboard Premium Membership - join today! Immediate online access, comprehensive downloadable playbook included with offenses, defenses, plays, drills, coaching and player tips, animated diagrams, video clips, mobile-ready, pdfs for print-outs, and more! More info...
Coaches... get a group membership (deeply discounted) for all your coaches!
Put in a new offense or defense this season.
Run a special inbounds or buzzer-beater play and look like a genius!
Use a special defense to shutdown a star player.
Teach your team how to break a press.